Monday, February 14, 2011

I Love Us! (Sorry for the mush...)

I LOVE the new ad for Hallmark this Valentine's Day. "I love us." How true is that!

I'm very lucky to have found my best friend back in 1992. We have been together ever since. I mean, we've been apart due to travel for work or family engagements and so on but we've never had a break up. (Or flash back to "Friends"... we've never been on a break.) There was only one time I wasn't 100% certain we'd stay together but luckily he came to his senses. And even then we didn't break up. We were merely having a discussion as to where we were heading.

We don't have what I'd call a normal relationship but I wouldn't trade what we have for anything else! We are totally honest with one another. We are secure enough to let one another have our own space and interests. I don't have to go with him every time he goes on a cycle ride with his buddies. (In fact, I encourage him to go without me. Everyone needs a little "me" time.) He encouraged me to go on a girls only weekend with my best girlfriends. But we also don't like to be apart for long. We support each other in whatever crazy interest or idea we come up with. I don't care for sports and am not particularly active but I'm there for every one of his triathlons, even when we had to leave the house before 4am. He accepts that I don't want to participate but appreciates that I'm there. I'm one heck of a cheering section, complete with a home made uniform! He doesn't understand my obsession with Harvey's bags but gladly drove an hour or more to stand in line with me for a special release "party" (even when I didn't even buy one of the special releases).

We are so abnormal that one of our friends actually warned his girlfriends about us before letting them meet us. He warned that we are not a typical couple and to be prepared to hear "bitch" and "asshole" thrown around, in a totally loving way of course. We attempted to be all lovey dovey when meeting his newest girlfriend but it didn't work more than two minutes. He even asked what the hell was wrong with us!

This year for Valentine's day we are doing nothing special. Just a quiet evening watching some things on the DVR. A totally perfect evening in our book. Valentine's day always makes me remember our first one though. He was late picking me up because he had stopped on the way to my house to pick up a card...and locked his keys in the car. He had to call his Aunt Brenda to bring the spare set of keys. Hee hee! He did call to let me know he would be there eventually.

I know how very lucky I am and I thank God every day that I have found my best friend. I hate to get so mushy. But the calendar dictates it, right?

Here's one of the songs that we consider "our song". (We have many.) It's just a song that makes us thing of the other whenever we hear it.

You and Me by the Plain White T's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTU23rWsnkc

You and me, we like the same kind of music
That's why we, make a good you and me
We got style, baby we know how to use it
That's why we, make a good you and me

You know what I'm going to say before my mouth even makes a sound
And that's why we make a good you and me

You and me, we couldn't stand being normal
That's why we, make a good you and me
We both laugh, at the most random situations
That's the key, baby don't you agree?

You know what I'm going to say before my mouth even makes a sound
And that's why we make a good you and me
I know from the sound of your breathing exactly what you are feeling
This is why we make a good you and me
Make a good you and me
Make a good you and me
You and me

Ah ah ah ah
You and me, all we need is each other
That's why we, make a good you and me

You know what I'm going to say before my mouth even makes a sound
And that's why we make a good you and me
I know from the sound of your breathing exactly what you are feeling
This is why we make a good you and me
Make a good you and me
Make a good you and me
You and me

2 comments:

  1. Jess,
    Yes you are VERY lucky indeed.

    One does not always appreciate their spouse nor find time for them because they have OCWSD (Obsessive Compulsive With Self Disorder).
    It takes 2 to make a relationship.
    Marriage is not for the convenience of the other and that is perhaps why the divorce rate is 50% & growing.
    It was said the 60's generation as the "me" generation, which consists mostly of the "Baby Boomers" of today.
    I can't help but think this is an accurate statistic. I would venture to guess that the "me" generation has the highest rate of divorce than any other.
    Wonder why that is?
    I think I will research the statistics regarding post war relationships & why they end.

    I am more than happy that you have found as your life partner, your best friend, & he his. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mush

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mush

    ReplyDelete