First, if I am ever diagnosed with a terminal illness and there is really no chance for me to be saved, I don't think I'll go through too much treatment. I'd rather be comfortable and have a short life than be miserable for years. I hope my loved ones can accept that. I've seen it go both ways and I think QUALITY of life is more important than QUANTITY. And part of that quality is to have FUN! So, if I'm ever diagnosed with cancer or whatever please be prepared to attend my wake while I'm still alive! I think it was the movie The Weather Man (2005) that gave me this idea. Why should the end of my life be all doom and gloom? Everyone is going to die. I'd rather spend the last of my time here having fun and spending time with my friends and family. We'll have all my favorite foods, drinks and games! There will be NO sad talk. Kind of like my last birthday...only hopefully not for a long, LONG time!
When I finally do die, be it from the above mentioned illness or suddenly, sooner or later, I do not want a funeral that is all BLACK. I don't really care for black. Although it is slimming! I LOVE color! So when I go, want a memorial service (not a funeral) and I want everyone to wear colorful clothes. Heck, a Hawaiian theme would also work well since I do love the beach. I told my mom this once and she said she disagreed. So I told her if she outlasts me I'd put in my will that everyone attending my funeral would have to wear pink tutus. She decided bright colors wouldn't be so bad. (I was going to say something about a funeral having "fun" in it but thought would be tacky.)
And I don't want a religious funeral. I want a memorial service at most. (And only if my friends and family want to deal with it.) Something like what the Masons do. I do not want some preacher yelling at my friends and family when I die. I want my life to be the sermon. I don't need someone to stand there and tell you all about me, what I did, etc. I sure don't want you all to be told how to live your lives.
I think I want to be cremated too. This has caused some arguments between my parents and myself. I've been struggling with this for some time and (while I hope I don't have to make this decision for a LONG time) I think I've decided on cremation. I think I made up my mind when I saw the beginning of The Rite (2011) in which a woman's mouth is sewn closed and eye caps were inserted into her eyes. I do not want anyone doing this stuff to my body. I think it's just gross. Really, how is burning my empty shell worse than sticking things in my eyes, gluing them shut, sewing my mouth shut, pumping me full of chemicals? UGH! I got queasy just typing that. (I also just looked at a website that explains the process of embalming and that stuff is all true!) I don't need a fancy urn either. Just put me in a coffee can or something. Actually, I'm on the look out for a cookie jar I like. Once I find one I'll let someone know where it is so you'll know how to find it when the time comes.
As for the service, if you all decide to have one...Remember FUN! I'm going to be working on a play list to help you all out. And I'm still thinking I want The Death March played when someone carries in my cookie jar full of ashes. Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmWLyp_o7S4
Though I would like a snazzier version.
That's all I have planned for now. But next time I tell Pat "Oh, I want that done at my funeral" I'll be sure to pop on here and make a note.
Until then I'll keep on living and having fun! Life is too short not to enjoy it.
Jess,
ReplyDeleteI think your ideas on this topic are most relevant to the modern day folk. We do not have the land to keep burying folk.
The elderly want the full blown pomp, circumstance & ceremony, with their passing, which I find a bit barbaric for my taste.
I do not care for such & will not be morticianed. There is a great deal about being embalmed that most folk do not realize is done to the body in order to be placed in the ground. It is modern day Mummification without the gauze & linen. Besides I am afraid of the dark & cannot stand to think of not being able to turn over. Cremation is the economical & practical way to be processed after life ceases. Quick, easy & family can gather together take a tea spoon or so of the cremains should they choose & gather at a favorite place of the decedent & have a private memorial service ceremony, without all hoop-la-tee-dah.
Music can be played on a boom box, others may want to say a short prayer, plant a flower or tree, others will want to party afterwards, while others elect to go on home quietly with their own private memories they cannot bear to share just yet.
For me....Cremation, Private disposal of ashes services, dress comfortably casual, play a few songs on a boom box, then switch to whatever the gathered few would like to hear No preachin just a prayer or two then ya-all go on & party hearty, sharin and rememberin ONLY the good times & the best of PNC, Like Johnny Carson's "The Best of Carson", cuz EVERYONE has a "Worst of" side of themselves & that is not the time to be sharin "The Worst of" another human beings life, or heck, everyone just take off & do your own thing.... it's over, no need to waste the day, unless the gathering wants to party..... :) :)
Oh yeah, one more thing,
CELEBRATE your loved ones while they are alive & breathing, do not wait till they are senile, incapacitated or have passed. MAKE TIME FOR THEM one way or the other on a weekly basis. Mend fences & forgive for one day it will be too late & regrets may be hauntingly unbearable as you too shall grow old.
Besides, God does not look kindly on those who do not.
Respectfully
PNC